Saturday, January 31, 2009

Southwestern soup

We just had the BEST soup for dinner! I wanted to try the soup recipe on the front of Jan. Southern Living. Every time I saw the magazine, I would WANT that soup. So this afternoon I made my grocery list and decided to make that soup. Well, while I was gone to the bookstore, my wonderful husband went to the grocery story, came home, and made the soup with the help of Jonathan. It was so good that I have to share the recipe with you just in case you don't get SL...my favorite mag.
Southwestern Soup
1 lb. ground beef
1 c. coarsely chopped onion
2 garlic cloves
2 (16 oz. ) cans of light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes and jalapenos, undrained
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes and chilies, undrained
1 (14 oz.) can beef broth
2 cups of frozen yellow and white corn
1 envelope of taco seasoning mix
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
toppings: sour cream, tortilla chips, shredded cheese, fresh cilantro
Brown ground beef, onion, and garlic in a large Dutch oven medium-high heat,
stirring often, 10-12 minutes or until meat crumbles and is no longer pink and onion is soft; drain.
Stir in kidney beans, next 8 ingredients, and 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in cilantro just before serving. Serve with desired toppings.
ENJOY!!!! If you want a picture look up Jan. issue of Southern Living

1 comment:

momofkrit said...

Thanks Em. That recipe rocked and I made it for dinner yesterday. Feel free to post more recipes anytime. Gives me ideas. Glad you are feeling better.