Saturday, January 31, 2009

don't forget

I read the letter that Jenna and Barbara Bush wrote to the Obama girls telling them some of their experiences in the White House. You can read it online. I don't know if you read it, but it was wonderful. They told them to enjoy everything about living in such a special place and go to every event that they possibly could. They told them what staffers were good for a hug or smile. At the end, on a more serious note, they gave them a bit of advice which has stuck with me all week. They told them to never forget who their daddy really is. Others will think that they know their daddy, but they don't. They weren't there when there daddy held them right after they were born or when he sent them off on their first day of school. What a good reminder, "Don't forget who your daddy is." My Abba Father walks with me every day, loves me even when I mess up, picks me up out of the pit and sets my feet on a rock. He is my refuge and strength.
As the hymn says, "O to grace how great a debtor daily I'm constrained to be; let they grace now, like a fetter, bind my wandering heart to thee. Prone to wander-- Lord, I feel it-- prone to leave the God I love. Here's my heart, O take and seal it, seal it for thy courts above.
Our daddy binds our heart to Himself. Our daddy is gracious and longsuffering. He is a big-hearted Father! So many others will tell you that they think they know Him, but they don't.
Don't forget who your daddy is.

1 comment:

sperlonga said...

I loved reading that letter, too. Nice thoughts here, Em. Our "daddy" put that daddy there, too. He always has our best in mind. Thanks for the reminder!