Monday, June 23, 2008

savoring

Kate sitting on her "throne" at her b-day party!

Jacob on the slip and slide in our back yard.

Here are some pictures....the one above is Kate's friend's singing "Happy Birthday" to her in the street in front of her teacher's house where we had her party.
Summers always go by so fast. I just want to sit and savor every last moment before the busyness of school comes back. Tonight David and I sat on our front porch and enjoyed watching the kids play. They were playing NASCAR but with bikes. They had their pits marked in the street with chalk, each with their own name. It was pretty funny. Jonathan was the pit crew for all of them, "changing tires, cleaning the bugs, sweeping up the pit after the stop".
We had a great weekend. A young couple (Megan Cathey and Behn Trader) from our church got married down in southern MD. So we got to go somewhere we had never been. We cross the Chesapeake Bay at Annapolis and then go straight south to the bottom....beautiful country. It was a beautiful day and a beautiful wedding...one of the best ones. Our pastor did the ceremony and the bride's dad said a prayer for the couple at the end which was very moving. I don't know very many dad's who could do that without getting emotional. You know me, I was my typical emotional self after listening to him pray for his daughter and her husband. David actually got a copy of the prayer.
Yesterday, we heard a great sermon on contentment. "You can be content in your circumstances without being content with your circumstances." He gave several examples... Joseph who was content with where God had Him but still wanted to be free, asking the butler to remember him when he went before the Pharoah.
Today is my mother and father-in law's 47th wedding anniversary. Happy anniversary to one of my favorite couples!! I am so thankful for you!

4 comments:

momofkrit said...

NASCAR with bikes? Man, I would have loved to have been there. Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Let's go biking boys!!!

Unknown said...

Hope you had a great birthday!!! I love you so much. I can't believe you turned 16!!!!
Your Cousin, Marisa

Donna said...

Em
Not sure if you remember but we lived in southern MD before we moved to PA, we lived just north of Prince Frederick (where Stefan was born) in Huntingtown.
Love
D

Emily said...

oh yeah, Donna, I do remember that now that you reminded me.