Saturday, June 7, 2008

more conversation

Bedtime is the best time for conversation. Sometimes they are funny and sometimes they are serious. Two nights ago this was my conversation with Jacob.
Jacob: Mom, have you had a false god?
Mom: Yes, you know a false god is like having an idol. An idol is anything that you love more than God.
Jacob: yeah, so have you had an idol?
Mom: yes.
J: REALLY??
Mom: Yes, lots of them.
J: like what?
Mom: Well, sometimes we can turn good things into an idol. We can take many good things that God has given to us and make them an idol. We love what he has given to us more than we love Him. I began to love Willowdale Chapel. I wanted to be there more than being where He wanted me. I didn't really care about what God wanted but what I wanted. So God took that away and showed me that I loved being at Willowdale more than I loved Him. He wanted me to love Him, so He had to take it away. He is merciful to us to do that. To not love me would be to let me have my idols. So God loves us so much to show us what they are?
Jacob: I wonder if I have ever had a false god?
Mom: Yes, I am sure you have. God will show them to you. God doesn't show us all our sin at one time because we would not be able to bear it. He loves us and will show us more and more and we just keep running back to HIm...He is always forgiving and loving us. He never gets tired of forgiving us and says "That's it. You messed up too many times. I am not going to forgive you anymore. His grace never runs out."
Our identity is not in our sin, but in Jesus. We have been forgiven of it all. It has all been paid for! So when you asked me if I have ever had a false god, I can freely admit that to you because I know I am forgiven and God loves me.
You ask really good questions, Jacob.

Thank you, Jesus for the work that you do in my kids despite my failures and sin!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wonderful conversations. I am over at Blores catching up on blogs instead of sweating it out in my house! I wrote a new blog and saved it on my USB and can't seem to meant he document up on this computer.

K said...

Awesome, Em!

Emily said...

Who is got7?