Tuesday, December 8, 2009

first snow

Saturday was our first snow of the season. I was at a Christmas tea. It was perfect...all Christmasy inside and big fluffy flakes coming down outside. I am hoping for a few good storms this year.
I had an "ah ha" moment today....kinda. I was teaching my first graders the lesson about the spies going into the land of Canaan and coming back scared and getting all the people scared. They had forgotten the promises of God and how He had taken care of them and promised to take them into the land and give it to them. To them, taking over the land of Canaan looked impossible! Joshua and Caleb didn't forget and knew that God could help them conquer the land. They probably had no idea how it would happen, but they were confident in God's promises to them. Halfway through the lesson, I felt like I was preaching to myself! The lesson was for me! The Holy Spirit was convicting me as I was speaking. Sometimes when God calls us to something and takes us through difficuties it is scary. I become fearful and try to control the situation so that it will work out to my liking. I remember when God was calling us away from my beloved Willowdale. I was scared. I loved my church, my friends....my life in PA. What if God took all of that away!!!?? What would I do? He did (except for the friends) because he wants me to trust Him and love Him more than ANYTHING!
I was so afraid that we would have to move far away and how hard that would be on the kids. God has a way of bringing us to the point of surrender, rest and trust. You know the verse, "In repentence and rest is our salvation..." it's my theme. :) So now after wandering in the wilderness and going through more trials and struggles, I see my sin...my pride, stubborness and now I don't care where we end up. I just want to be wherever God wants us. That's what happened to the Israelites too. They had to wander around and realize that God's promises are ALWAYS true....repent,rest, repent, rest, repent....God is faithful and always forgives and loves.

2 comments:

sperlonga said...

"In quietness and confidence is your strength."

val said...

I want to click the "like" button! :)