Thursday, May 14, 2009

the power of the cross

Tonight was our spring concert. Katelyn and Mary Ellen sang the song "Mighty is the Power of the Cross". It's a Chris Tomlin song. (I love him). There friend, Emery, accompanied them on the guitar and they all did such a beautiful job. It really is special to watch and listen to them sing praises to the Rescuer of our souls and know the power of the cross in their own lives. It is really hard to keep the tears back... but I did! Aren't you proud of me??!! :)
They both have seen the power of the cross in their own lives in restoring brokenness just this week. God is all about restoring. I see brokenness all around me and would get overwhelmed with it but for the power of the cross. We have to keep coming back to the cross and see its power.
In one of Keller's sermons that I listened to last week he quoted J. Newton, "Everything the Father sends is necessary. Nothing He withholds can be necessary." Sometimes I don't understand what he sends and could think of a better way to learn the same lesson, but as a wise, godly woman once said to me, "We don't have to try to figure it all out and understand it. We just have to trust and rest." This is a woman who has gone through some serious pain in her life. She just had to trust and rest...that's it. That is where she found the strength of the Father. I love the verse Isaiah 30:15...In repentance and rest is our salvation, in quietness and trust shall be your strength". I'm not sure if that is the exact words...but it's close.
God, help me to trust and rest, laying down at the foot of the cross....it's a powerful place.
Thanks, girls, for pointing me back tonight to the power of the cross. I love you!

4 comments:

sperlonga said...

Thanks for the great reminder, Em. This is one good medium to encourage each other!
Charysse gave us a stack of Keller sermons to listen to on our trip. What a blessing!

Andrea said...

I just had to say what a joy it was to listen to your daughters sing. What beautiful voices! What was truly a blessing was seeing how the three were singing/playing from their hearts. God was indeed glorified.

Anonymous said...

Your girls must have gotten their good voices from their Gpa/Mom. What a blessing to hear good blending. We truly have been blessed all these years with great music at Cono. I don't think I've been on your blog before. We are remodeling and have a huge mess here. More and more getting done each day with painting; taking down the cupboard over the island today so the ceiling can be finished being texturized/now painted. Amy and I painted today. In between kids.....it's hectic. Mess thus far for two months. Lots more to go!!! your mom will be here next week for the Jr/Sr banquet and graduation. I will pick her up at IA city. Liz

momofkrit said...

How is it that you didn't cry but I did??? Must be my crazy meds! God is molding you into such a strong woman with all the journey's of life that you have traveled! Don't discount the power of the cross working in others through your life! You are an inspiration and a blessing. Keep trusting. I am so excited to see all that God has planned for you in the future! :)