Friday, February 6, 2009

scones

I made the famous Cranberry Orange Scones yesterday and brought them to school. When I make them, it is purely for selfish reasons (because I am craving them), but I share them so I won't eat the whole batch and be 200 pounds. For those who have asked, here is the recipe.
Cranberry Orange Scones
2 cups all-purpose flour
7 tsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. orange peel
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt.
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/3 c. cold butter
1 c. dried cranberries
1/4 c. orange juice
1/4 c. half and half cream
1 egg
1 Tbsp. milk
GLAZE:
1/2 c. confectioners' sugar
1 Tbsp. orange juice
In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, orange peel, baking powder, salt, and soda. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs;set aside. In a small bowl combine cranberries, orange juice, half and half and egg. Add to flour mixture and stir until soft dough forms. On a floured surface, gently knead 6-8 times. Pat dough into an 8 inch circle. Cut into 10 wedges. Separate wedges and place on an ungreased baking sheet ( I actually lightly grease the baking sheet). Brush with milk. Bake at 400 for 12-15 min. Combine glaze ingredients and drizzle over scones.
Have a tea party! :)

2 comments:

MeghanDillon said...

YUMM... I know those scones are excellent - I've had them. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'm going to try them, but they don't have cranberries in this part of Peru this time of year. What do you think I should substitute? blueberries, maybe?

momofkrit said...

Yippee!!! Thanks, I've been wanting to try this. andrea and I want to come and watch you make them and have you teach us how to cook!