Wednesday, February 25, 2009

new van and new food

Yes, we finally got a van. It's not new, but it is newer than what we had by 2 years. It has been very well taken care of and it feels like I am driving a new van. So our insurance won't go up much and we won't have a car payment! God is good to provide for us!
I have been enjoying cooking real food this week for the family. Tonight my sister, Jenny, was having tuna casserole. So I did the same. I looked it up on line and found a good recipe with fresh mushrooms (thank you, Irwin family), peppers, cheddar cheese, onions, etc...It was really good, filling and cheap. Okay, so some of you are probably gagging because your mother fixed tuna casserole one too many times in your life! I don't think I have ever fixed it before. It was a regular meal at Ron and Diana's when I lived with them my sr. year in high school. I know they don't ever want to SEE a tuna casserole again! Monday night we had a broccoli and chicken noodle soup and Tues. we had Tex Mex Calzones....can't go wrong with any mexican in this family. Both were from the latest issue of Cooking Light. The calzones called for ground turkey but I used deer hamburger.It is very lean and we love it. I made a black bean salad to go with it. Talk about beautiful food! All the colors in the black bean salad were so cool...I should have taken a pic. of it. It had black beans, cherry tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, celery, lime juice, olive oil...you get the picture. It's nice to have b-ball done and enjoying real food, family dinners.

3 comments:

momofkrit said...

yeah for the new van!!
Jamie is gagging because he indeed had one too many tuna casseroles growing up. That is on my banned from dinner list. Glad you all enjoyed it.

sperlonga said...

tuna casseroles are OUT in this house too. I had to hold my mouth shut to keep from gagging! ha! Mom made something called "Tuna Neapolitan". I don't remember anything Neapolitan about it, maybe it was the noodles....But thanks for the meal suggestions, I love getting ideas. Feel free to post photos are pretty-colored food!

Anonymous said...

I have to say Dan's mom cooked a lot of tuna casserole but Dan likes mine much better. Don't tell his mom, her feelings might get hurt, but that's what husbands are suppose to do right? I have never had anyone not like my tuna casserole. My kids and their friends eat piles of it when I cook it. I do love tuna and I know lots of people don't.
Say, I didn't know you ate beans, I thought you were a bean hater?