Saturday, May 24, 2008

my life with mom

We have been going to such fun places with mom this week. Tues. afternoon I took her to school with me and she met some of my favorite people. I help with fourth grade for a little while on Tues. We had some time after I was done before school got out so we went to the bookstore. She bought a Cesar Milan video (the Dog Whisperer). It is quite interesting, but I thought it was funny that she bought it, picked the one out that she wanted and hadn't seen and then said it was for me! No, we don't have any dogs and probably never will. My husband does NOT want a dog or any pet for that matter. Wed. afternoon after I got home from picking up the kids (they had a half day),we drove down to the beach. It was gorgeous! I thought it was going to be a lot colder than it was, but it was beautiful. It wasn't too windy and perfect for jeans and t-shirt and bare feet. Of course, the kids had to pull up their pant legs and stick their feet in the water, but it was really cold. Thurs. was our big day in Washington,D.C. We drove to the beltway and then took the train right to the Capital. We had scheduled a tour through our former congressman, Joe Pitts. He went to our church in PA. Joel and Melinda are also in his district. He and his wife are wonderful people. He is older with grown children. His daughter and her husband were Katelyn's small group leaders when we were at Willowdale. He was actually in the house chamber when we got there and came out and talked to us and took us to a couple of places that are not on the regular tour. One place was called the speakers balcony. It overlooks the mall with the Washington Mon. and then Lincoln Mem. all the way at the other end. The White House at the end of Pennsylvania Ave. is on your right and Smithsonian is on the left. It was so cool. We went into the House Chamber and sat and listened to them discuss some bill. The farm bill was being debated and voted on the night before. Our tour guide said that she was in there and it was crazy with all 435 (or however many there are in the House) Reps. in there yelling and the speaker banging her gavel trying to get order. She said it was so fun. You know I always thought it would be so fun to be an intern or a page at the Capital. I wonder if they hire 40 year olds. It seems like mostly college kids. We had a great tour and perfect weather...not too hot and not too cold.
Friday was a rest day. I worked at the school in the afternoon. We had chicken quesidillas for dinner and watched the movie "Perfect Harmony" after dinner.
Today we went back to one of our favorite towns (Chestertown, MD). They reenact the Tea Party off of a schooner that is a replica of a schooner that was a part of the royal navy. We stopped at our friends (who we saw on Mon.) and had a hot dog and a funnel cake. yummy! BTW, Kate's funnel cake totally disappeared in about one minute! It was amazing! That girl can put the food away and burn it off as fast as she eats it.
I will try to put pictures on here as soon as possible. I don't really know how to do it. I just get Kate to do it. I tried to figure it out...I guess I'm just not smart enough for this thing...
Tonight's dinner was a huge hit with Mama (after she figured out that you are supposed to peel the shrimp BEFORE you eat them). I made Beaufort Stew. David showed her how to peel the shrimp. :) That was funny. Then we got to talking about rednecks. I was trying to explain what a redneck is to mom. Any tips on that?? Kate has all these redneck quotes "You might be a redneck if you think the last four words of the national anthem are 'Gentlemen,start your engines' " or "you might be a redneck if your truck won't fit through the drive through at the bank". So how would you define a redneck??
We are having a cookout on Mon. Everyone is invited. Come one, come all! Just give me a call and bring some side dish or dessert...See ya then! I think we will have new grand nephew by then!

1 comment:

sperlonga said...

Sounds like a wonderful week! Glad you could do all that with Mom. And you DO have a new nephew! Maybe Mom will even get to see him before she leaves. Her third great grandchild!