Monday, May 19, 2008

The countryside

Today after mom made bread, we traveled over to Chestertown, MD.
It is a lovely town with big old houses. Washington College is there which was founded in 1790something. I have a good friend who lives there and has all her life. Her husband grew up in the house across the street. The houses on their street are so cute and welcoming. It is the kind of town where you would like to spend your whole summer. It is on the Chester river. My friend has a wonderful front porch with rocking chairs and all. She is getting ready to be a grandma and has sewed her fingers off making all kinds of cute things (toys and quilts) for the new baby that is due next month. She showed us everything she had made and it was quite a show! I wish I had taken some pictures.
When we got home, David had put together the lasagna that I had started and had it in the oven!! yeah! So tonight we had chicken cheese lasagna and homemade bread and salad. David wanted to go drive around Bombay Hook Wildlife Refuge after dinner. So we watched a magnificent sunset out there. We didn't see much interesting wildlife...just a fox and two blue herons.
Sat. Melinda and mom met me at a women's brunch for our church. It was at a lady's house in Landenberg, PA. It was in the hills and the woods! The road looked like it really wasn't meant for two lanes...maybe one and a half and we don't have ditches like they do in Iowa! There is no room for error on these roads. I happened to be the speaker. This was a scary thing to me. I have led many women's groups but I think of myself as more of a facilitator than a "get up front and speak". The night before I was complaining to David and telling him how I never want to do anything like this again! Of course, it went great and God was so good to help me organize my thoughts and get them all written down. I spoke on resting in the work of Christ, giving my own personal testimony along the way.
We went to Longwood after that and then came home.

2 comments:

sperlonga said...

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you are having a great time. Mom is probably loving it! I'm glad your talk went well, too. Keep it up, God can use you that way. And He stretches us so that we can see HIS power at work in us. Isn't that great?

Emily said...

yeah, it's stretching all right!