Wednesday, April 22, 2009

love letter

I have been learning so much about the love of God lately. We have been talking about in first grade as we are at the death and resurrection of Jesus in our Bible survey. I am reading to them from the Jesus Storybook Bible...my favorite Bible story book. I also have been listening to Tim Keller every morning on my way to school. The sermons are the perfect length for the drive up. I have been listening to the series on the Attributes of God...awesome! It breathes life into my soul every morning, gets me out of the pit and puts my mind on the cross. Yesterday, he talked about the love of God and his text was Hosea. This is such a heart wrenching but truthful story of God's pursuit of us. I was undone by the picture of God's never-giving up love for me. Then I was reminded of some of the simple love letters God sends to me all the time that I get so used to and don't give him the glory for them. On Sunday, I was at Longwood Gardens with the boys. We were only going to be there for about an hour and a half...walk through the tulips, and the children's garden and go to the treehouses. However, there was kite flying going on in the big green field at the entrance (which I have always wanted to run through). Usually people aren't on that field. Sunday it was filled with families, strollers, little kids running around and lots of people flying homemade kites. Of course, my boys wanted to make a kite and fly it, but I was sure there was a fee involved so I said "no, we can't". As we were leaving, Jacob said, "PLEEEEEEEEASE, can we just ask if we have to pay?" So I said yes (because wouldn't that be bad if it WAS free and I didn't let them have the fun of flying a kite on the big green field at Longwood?? yes...I would have felt horrible) So we went over to the tent and asked. Yes there WAS a fee but it was such a popular event that now they were handing out free store bought kites. The boys got one with Iron Man on it! So we called Dad (who was supposedly grading papers in the car) because he LOVES to fly kites. He is the expert and we got it all the way up as far as the string would go and had a blast! It was so fun. Yesterday, I thought, "Thank you God for showing your love to us on Sunday. It was such a special time together and HE made that happen!" What a wonderful gift and act of His love toward us...His children!

1 comment:

sperlonga said...

Yeah, Will came for dinner Monday night and talked both before and after dinner. God knew I needed THAT special time!